Travel Light Duffle Bag – PDF Digital Sewing Pattern
THIS LISTING IS FOR A DIGITAL PATTERN in English which will be emailed to you immediately after purchase.
- Digital PDF file with 17 pages of step-by-step photo instructions
- A great standard size duffle bag
- Extra instructions if you want to “customise the size”
- Handy cutting chart and pattern pieces to print at home
- Full video tutorial
- Instant download after purchase
- All measurements are in imperial (inches) and metric (centimetres)
- A0 file for use with projectors or a print shop
This pattern does NOT include SVG files due to the large size of the pattern pieces
Skill level: Beginner bag maker
License: PDF files for your personal use only. You can make bags to sell on a home-based production scale.
Create your perfect travel bag! Grab a copy of the pattern to get started!
This duffle bag is designed for quick trips and weekends away. The size used in the pattern is specifically designed to fit the requirements for “personal” cabin luggage for Ryanair airline (correct at time of publishing). It’s also just a great standard size for a weekend bag. (“Duffle” is the British spelling for “duffel”).
This pattern is suitable for brave beginners, but I wouldn’t suggest it for your first ever try at bag making.
The pattern includes a “customise the size” page which details how to customise the bag size to your exact requirements. A blank cutting chart is also provided for you to fill out with the results of your calculations. All the calculations are provided, but you will need to do the maths. This option is only suitable for those who are comfortable working with maths and following detailed instructions. If not, we recommend sticking to the standard pattern size.
This duffle bag can be made using a wide variety of materials such as cotton, canvas, cork, vinyl or leather. Whatever fabric you choose, be sure that your sewing machine can handle a lot of layers. The handles are sewn through all the layers so for domestic sewing machines, I recommend using cotton fabrics for both the exterior and lining fabrics.
15 1/4″ wide x 9 1/4″ tall x 7 1/4″ deep (39cm x 24cm x 19cm), but the pattern includes a “customise the size” page which details how to customise the bag size to your exact requirements!
- Handy grab handles
- Exterior pocket to fit a passport and other essentials
- Adjustable crossbody strap
- A quick and fun sew
- Perfect for weekends away
You can sell bags made from this design on a home-based production scale.
Immediately after purchase, you will receive the following files:
- Letter paper file – the full pattern including pattern pieces for printing at home in the USA & Canada
- A4 paper file – the full pattern including pattern pieces for printing at home outside the USA & Canada
- A0 file – for print shop and projector use only
This is NOT a finished bag. This is a digital duffle bag sewing pattern to download and print at home to help you create your own bag. This digital file is for your personal use only and is not to be shared or reproduced. See full terms and conditions.
This is rated as a beginner friendly pattern, suitable for those with some sewing experience but not necessarily bag making experience.
For printing at home, please use the letter paper file if you’re in the USA or Canada, or the A4 file for everywhere else. The A0 file is for projector and print shop use only and is not compatible with a standard home printer.
This is a PDF digital sewing pattern in English available for instant download. See the “DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTIONS” page for details on how to download your pattern after purchase.
This duffle bag pattern is written using both imperial (inches) and metric (centimetres) measurements.
Included in the photos are bags made by our pattern testers. Please be aware that some of the testers have made small modifications to their bags. Instructions for these modifications are not included in the pattern but are simply there to provide ideas on how you could adapt the pattern if you want to.
- 2/3 yd (65cm) Exterior fabric (44″/110cm wide)*
- 2/3 yd (65cm) Lining fabric (44″/110cm wide)*
- 3 1/2 yds (320cm) Double fold bias binding, 1/2″ wide when double folded
- 76″ (193cm) Cotton or nylon webbing (1″/25mm wide)
- 60″ (152cm) Cotton or nylon webbing (1 1/2″/38mm wide)
*Measurements account for directional fabrics
- 2/3 yd (65cm) Medium weight woven interfacing (G700/SF101 or similar)
- 2/3 yd (65cm) Foam stabiliser (35″/90cm)
- 7 1/4″ (19cm) Peltex 70P/71F ultra firm stabiliser (20″/50cm wide)
Page 31 of the pattern contains a list of various brand names for suitable interfacing and stabilisers
- 26″ (66cm) No.5 zip tape & 3 zip pulls
- 2 x 1 1/2″ (38mm) Swivel hooks
- 2 x 1″ (25mm) D-rings
- 1 x 1 1/2″ (38mm) Strap slider
- 14 x Medium (8mm post) Rivets – Recommended but not essential
As this is an electronic product, we cannot process refunds or returns as it cannot be returned once delivered. This pattern, once purchased, is not to be shared or reproduced in any way.
Downloads are limited to 10 per file as a precaution to stop bots from sharing download links. If you need your download limit refreshed, please email us and we’ll be happy to sort it for you.
Got a question? Check the FAQs page, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org